I was inspired by Sydney at the Elliot Countenance to post some random facts about myself, so here goes!
- The first thing I ever remember writing was probably when I was around five or six. It was about a missing blueberry pie, and it was written on several pieces of notebook paper stapled together and charmingly illustrated (not). It was taken from another book which I was infatuated with at the time. For the life of me, I can’t remember the name of the book. I know we still have it. It’ll turn up. I also remember making a few similar illustrated books, one in particular about a fairy.
- I was around six when I started writing, but I didn’t really get interested until around age 11 or 12, when I learned to type on my computer. There have been stories floating around in my head for as long as I can remember, though.
- I write fiction, mostly fantasy and historical fiction. I also love rewriting fairy tales.
- One of the books that stood out most to me is Little House in the Big Woods. Momma read it to me and my brother when I was around four or five. When we got to the part about the panther, it terrified me. I didn’t want to listen to the rest. But wait – there’s more! I decided maybe it wasn’t so bad after all, and asked her to finish it. (I guess even then, I hated not finishing books.) She didn’t want to scare me, so she wouldn’t read it. So I, at four, read the rest of the book by myself. After that, I was hooked. I’ve loved the series ever since.
- I love, love, love buying books secondhand. Why would I pay ten dollars for a book when I could get it for 25 cents? It’s gotten to the point where I don’t want me or anyone else to pay full price for any book, ever, because I’m sure it will turn up at the thrift store one day. Probably. Maybe. Eventually?
- I’m a speed-reader. One very extreme example is that I read Pride and Prejudice in one day. However, it took me much longer to read Sense and Sensibility (a few weeks, maybe? A month? I don’t even think I finished it before it was due back at the library…).
- I get writers block (a lot) and I have a love-hate relationship with editing. I am currently editing one of the longest stories I’ve ever written.
- Hearing my work read aloud is terrifying. It makes me feel sick. Like, actually sick to my stomach.
- All of my books are catalogued on Goodreads and organized (mostly) by either genre or author. Even though I have three bookshelves, I still have an overflow of books. Most of my shelves have two rows of books, and there are still piles of books all over my room. I need to get rid of some.
- My writing goal for this year is to finish my two WIPs and start another one that I had an amazing idea for. I’m letting it simmer on the back burner now. With some luck, maybe people other than my closest friends will see it. Them. However many I finish. If I finish any at all.
- I don’t think I’ve ever had a favorite book. Favorite book in a genre? Maybe. Favorite book? Never.
- Probably one of my most read/listened-to books ever is The Horse and His Boy, but the Anne of Green Gables series and the Little House series would give it some competition…
- My best writing time is in the morning, after I’ve done the majority of my school and before everyone else wakes up. I either write at my school desk on my computer or in my bed with my Kindle and portable keyboard.
- I’m overly secretive about my writing. I never tell anyone specifics until after I’m done with the first draft, and sometimes not even then. I’ve had bad experiences with sharing too soon.
- I have currently read 27 out of 150 books on my Goodreads challenge. It’s probably less than what I’ll actually read, but I set it low to give me a little leeway. Last summer, I had a goal to read a book every day – and I did, all the way from April until December. Disclaimer: A good deal of them were children’s books. I like children’s books the most. I think my total last year was around 400…
Anyway, that’s my fifteen random literary facts about myself. If you have any literary facts about yourself, post them in the comments!